Transient scores: India 203/5 (Shikhar Dhawan 72, Manish Pandey 29, Virat Kohli 26; Junior Dala 2 for 47) beat South Africa 175/9 (Reeza Hendricks 70, Farhaan Behardien 39; Bhuvneshwar Kumar 5 for 24) by 28 runs
1st T20, statistical highlights
- India received the primary of the three T20Is by 28 runs, registering their seventh general win in opposition to South Africa on this format. They’ve additionally now received 4 of the 5 T20Is performed in opposition to this host on their soil. This was South Africa’s third straight loss on the Wanderers, a run which started in March 2016.
- Batting first, India recorded their highest complete in opposition to South Africa (203/5), surpassing the 199/5 they’d set the Proteas, additionally when batting first, on the HPCA Stadium in Dharamsala in 2015, when South Africa had been on a full tour of India.
- The important thing to creating this rating was India getting off to a extremely fast begin with a flurry of sixes of fours, off the bats of Shikhar Dhawan and Rohit Sharma. India made 78 runs within the powerplay and that is now their highest powerplay rating, bettering the earlier better of 77 in opposition to Sri Lanka in 2009.
- One of many opening batsmen from each groups scored half-centuries: for India, Shikhar Dhawan made his fourth T20I half-century (a 39-ball 72) and Reeza Hendricks, taking part in his tenth Twenty20 Worldwide, scored his maiden half-century (a 50-ball 70), although he couldn’t energy the Proteas to a victory.
- Bhuvneshwar Kumar was the wrecker-in-chief with the ball, taking 5 for 24 in 4 overs and serving to India take the lead this collection. That is now Bhuvneshwar’s finest bowling figures in T20 Worldwide cricket, higher his earlier finest of three for 9 in opposition to Pakistan on the M Chinnaswamy Stadium in Bengaluru in his debut collection. This UP seamer received the person of the match award.
- Virat Kohli, captaining India for the 12th time in a Twenty20 Worldwide, registered his seventh win.