Scores abstract: South Africa 335/10 (Aiden Markram 94, Hashim Amla 82, Faf du Plessis 63; Ravichandran Ashwin four/113, Ishant Sharma three/46) and 258/10 (AB de Villiers 80, Dean Elgar 61; Mohammed Shami four/49, Jasprit Bumrah three/70) beat India 307/10 (Virat Kohli 153; Morne Morkel four/60) and 151/10 (Lungi Ngidi 6/39, Kagiso Rabada three/47)
- Virat Kohli held the Indian innings collectively within the first innings by scoring 153 off 217 balls, his runs contributing to 49.83 per cent of the crew’s runs. This was his 21st Take a look at century and 14th as skipper.
- Taking part in his 29th Take a look at match, Mohammed Shami reached 100 wickets in Take a look at cricket with the wicket of Keshav Maharaj in South Africa’s first innings. He’s the seventh Indian quick bowler to get to this landmark, behind Kapil Dev, Javagal Srinath, Zaheer Khan, Karsan Gavri, Ishant Sharma and Irfan Pathan.
- Lungi Ngidi’s 6/39 within the Indian second innings is the seventh-best by a South Africa bowler on Take a look at debut. In all, Ngidi took seven wickets for a mere concession of 90 runs and deservedly gained the person of the match award for a similar.
- This defeat meant that India’s quest for a Take a look at collection win on South African soil continues, having toured the Rainbow Nation seven occasions since 1992.
- Virat Kohli suffered his first-ever collection loss as Indian captain.